There are four major groups of reptiles. The groups include crocodilians (alligators, caimans, gharial and crocodiles), snakes, chelonians (sea turtles and tortoises) and lizards. In all, there are over 6500 kinds of reptiles in our world. Find out more reptile facts.
Lizards are one type of reptile
Interesting Facts about Reptiles
- There are about 6500 different reptile species. About 2700 are different types of snakes.
- All reptiles are cold-blooded. Their body temperature relies on the environment.
- Most reptiles, except some types of lizards, hatch from eggs.
- All reptiles breathe air through their lungs. They cannot breathe underwater.
- All reptiles have bony skeletons.
- All reptiles have dry scaly skin.
- Most reptiles, except snakes and some types of lizards have 4 legs.
- Gecko lizards, at 0.75 inches (2 cm) in length are the smallest lizards.
- Saltwater crocodiles found in southeast Asia, at over 20 feet (6.2 m) long and weighing over 3000 pounds (1360 kg) are the largest reptiles. Saltwater crocodiles also have the most powerful bit of any animal. Their bite force is over 7500 psi (51,700 kPa) which is enough pressure to break concrete.
- Dinosaurs were reptiles
- Sea turtles, which live in the water, and tortoises, which live on land are reptiles.
- All crocodilians are flesh eaters.
- Crocodilians continue to grow their entire life.
- Crocodiles re-grow teeth like sharks. Over their life many crocodiles grow 50 sets of teeth.
- There are over 250 snake species that are dangerous to humans.
- Only two drops of venom from a black mamba snake can kill a human in 10 minutes.
- A king cobra snake has venom powerful enough to kill an elephant.
- Many lizards can shed their tale when attacked. This defense mechanism allows the lizard to escape. Their tales then later grow back
- Galapagos tortoises can live longer than most other animals. Some Galapagos tortoises have lived longer than 180 years.
Turtles and tortoises are types of reptile called chelonians
Saltwater crocodiles are the largest reptiles and have the most powerful bite.